Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's our business

You may have noticed we haven't blogged in awhile. My apologies. Believe it or not, spring is on it's way here so we've been hard at work on our spring programs, marketing campaign, etc. If you don't believe me, about the spring I mean, you'll have to come over and check out our herb garden, and blueberries/strawberries and lilacs and all the other nature we just planted last week. That's right Easterners, we've been planting. Score.

Nature. I work with it. This is my new life focus. For years I worked with people in church settings, now I work with plants in nature settings. Bill Hart laughed out loud when my parents told him "John started his own Organic Lawn Care Business. No seriously Bill, he did." Growing up in Dauphin, Bill had the greenest thumb I had ever seen. Entering his backyard was like being reborn. The way he arranged his plants and knew them by name, it was boring, to be honest. But now, I get it. I see. Nature is a civilization given to us by God to care for. That's a tall order, one that I resented for years as I pushed our old electric mower across our tree happy property. Bill reminded my parents of this "I remember driving by your house and seeing John out there on the lawn fighting the cord and scowling." I remember too. I suppose until you approach nature on your own terms, it'll feel like a sentence.

Last week I was sitting in my minister's office talking to him about the ebbs and flows of my life. He suggested I must miss the ministry. My answer was muddled as I said yes and no and well, hmm, I guess there are parts I miss. The truth is, there are things I miss like trips and events and causes and classes, and community. Especially the community. I miss our dear friends, like you the readers. I don't miss the boxes. Theological and Professional. Still, ministry was good to me and my family and I will cherish those years for the rest of my life.

In some ways, old ministry habits die hard. I still meet with people one on one to discuss things precious to them. The discussian now favors what's underfoot instead of what's inside yet its amazing how often the two come together. I've already officiated the wedding of one of my client's daughters for instance. I still give speeches. I joined the local BNI (Business Networking International) and each Thursday I meet with 40 other business owners to share. Included in the sharing time is a 60 second infomercial where we stand up and promote our business. It's good still being able to use my gifts. Later this Spring I will be facilitating 5 workshops on how to care for your lawn naturally, chemical free, and why it makes sense. That's the neat thing about owning your own business, you can structure it to support your strengths (and subcontract all your weaknesses :)

Yikes, its 7:35am and the house is still asleep. That's not good when kids are supposed to be in school. Better run.

See you sooner next time.

John

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new blog...wow!! Sounds like you are focused. As for the "spring weather", well, it's the WINTER Olympics ain't it?! lol

I would love to sit in on one of the weekly business meetings if there is one in July. I've attended a few of those myself. Sure I'll rattle off my Sylvan speech, but am really more interested to see you work your magic.....chemical free of course!

Nice read. Enjoy the Olympics and Go Canada!! (Finally a hockey season where we're both on the same page....for once).

Steve

Duncan and Joan Barwise said...

Missed your posts, glad to have you back, John. I think working with "plants in nature settings" is helping to take care of the earth - I think that's pretty valid "ministry" to something very fragile and beautiful. See you "sooner". Duncan.

jsc said...

I've always loved your enthusiasm, son! May God bless you and "our" family as the colours of HIS spring season burst back to life.

bhoomi said...

Thanks for the articles I find this is one of the very interesting article to read, i will visit again for more article.. Ways2Capital